Christy Thomas Co-Chair
Deb Copeland Co-Chair
Kerryn Williams Co-Chair Annex
Andrea Sinclair Vice Chair
Kelly Maxwell Treasurer
Phil Benson Co-Secretary
Nicole Nozick Co-Secretary
Andrea Mitchell Member at Large
Rachelle Leduc Member at Large
Tami Friesen Member at Large
Anne-Marie Long Member at Large
Anna Maria Niccili-Mullett Principal Charles Dickens Elementary
Karl Graham Vice Principal Charles Dickens
Lisa Nucich Vice Principal Charles Dickens Annex
AbsentBrad White Vice Chair Annex
Aasia Paterson Member at Large
Ania Jakobs Member at Large
Jenny Pronovost Member at Large
Leone Hall Member at Large
Mimi Wong Member at Large
Scott Urquhart Member at Large
Judith Steedman Member at Large
Cathy Golf Member at Large
1. Agenda for tonight’s meeting was passed.
2.Minutes of last (March 2014) meeting were approved.
3. Principal’s Report – Anna Maria
- Thanked everyone for support since Dawn passed
- Call to parents for thoughts on which classes they’d like their kids placed in next year. Parents thoughts are considered but final decision belongs to staff. Main school feedback form sent out today (9-April) and requested back by 1-May. Annex feedback will be requested by a form sent home to parents (sent out 1-May, requested back by 25-May). Forms should be handed in at the office.
- Noted that families are advocating for a separate music space in a very respectful manner. Many thanks for that.
- Anna Maria has invited Paul Nichols to attend the next PAC Executive meeting to discuss his thoughts for the
music program for 2014/2015. Andrea
Sinclair suggested that Paul attend the PAC General Meeting in late April (Anna
Maria will check with Paul). Main School
- Anna Maria noted that the
owns almost a complete class set of guitars.
Some consideration has been given to this considering they don’t have
the same noise impact associated with marimbas. Main School
- Anna Maria noted that school attendance for 2014/2015 is quite tight. The school might not be able to accommodate cross boundary siblings.
- 2014/2015 calendars will be out to families by end of May. Administration has heard requests by parents to align pro-D days at the Main School & Annex. Deb Copeland to remind Karl to look into publishing electronic calendar that can be used by smart phones, etc.
4. 4. Vice Principal’s Report –
(Karl Graham) Main
- Considering setting up a Twitter account for the
. Main School
- Deb Copeland mentioned she has heard of a school that puts each day’s morning announcements on Twitter.
- Satisfaction surveys (anonymous) have been started for Grade 4’s. Those for Grade 7 start tomorrow.
5. Vice Principal’s Report – Annex (Lisa Nucich)
- Annex also has a Twitter account but not much activity yet.
- Dalai Lama Peace & Education Centre came to Annex last week to discuss kindness.
- Dance Week is this week and is going well.
- Grade 3 Egg Drop later this month.
6. Treasurer Report (Kelly Maxwell)
- Refer to treasurer’s report
7. Fund Allocation Strategy for Next Year
- Teacher concerns this year about disbursements are attributed to a bit of confusion around changing administration. Anna Maria to discuss with staff.
- There will be more discussion about how to budget allocations for 2014/2015 at the May PAC Exec Meeting.
8. Greenway Discussion (Andrea Mitchell)
- Agreed that boulevard planting volunteer work party to be done immediately after work on Friday 25-April. Andy estimates she will need 10-20 people.
- Painting budget issues. VSB is low bidder but is not permitted to do the painting on city property (union issues). Andrea & Karl are looking into this.
- Would like to have a greenway potluck barbeque party when the work is complete.
- Anna Maria to check with VSB insurer if they can insure a PAC project that takes place on City property. It might be appropriate for VSB insurer to talk to the City’s insurer.
9. Integrating Grade 4’s into Dickens Main from Annex (Kerryn Williams)
- Kerryn suggested there could be a buddy system that enables the ex-Annex kids to come up to speed faster (similar to the system provided for new kids).
- Karl advised that there is already an orientation program in place for the ex-Dickens Grade 4’s. Administration is happy to hear of any concerns or issues encountered previously so that this program can be optimized.
10. Dawn Memorial (Saturday)
- Anna Maria noted that the obituary indicated that all are welcome.
- Kelly Maxwell noted PAC has already given a $200 donation for this issue.
- Christy will put a card in the PAC box by the end of Thursday 10 April for PAC members to sign. It will be given to the family at the memorial on Saturday.
11. Spring Fling Update (Andrea Mitchell)
- Meeting next Wednesday 16-April at Cedar Cottage Pub.
- Noted that last year’s photo booth person is unavailable. To rent one is $500 so Andy is putting out the word to see if anyone else is out there.
- Christy will put letter templates for requesting donations in the PAC box.
- There is a team still concentrating on finding an “extra space” that will not impact on any spots for new students.
- Another committee meeting is scheduled for tomorrow (10-April) to evaluate options.
- At this time the number one option appears to be addition of a portable but it seems unlikely.
- Apparently a music space was promised when the
was first built and now the committee is looking for documentation. Main School
- 30 April – General Meeting / School Plan
- 14 May – PAC Executive Meeting
- 29 May – Spring Fling!
- Concerns about dogs on field and associated signage. Scott Urquhart may come to see Karl directly about this.
- Christy suggested that people start to think about PAC positions for next year.
- Nicole articulated concerns about kids’ safety on the Internet. Should there be some instruction on this by the teachers? Lisa Nucich indicated that teachers do talk about this with students but there is no formal curriculum. Anna Maria indicated that it is tough to teach at the school because so many websites are already blocked at the schools. Is there a speaker program that PAC could fund next year?